Based on the requirements of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act and SEC reporting requirements for publicly traded companies,
Write a four to five (4-5) page paper in which you:
- Evaluate the critical elements of accounting quality. Compare and contrast balance sheet quality with earnings quality. Explain why both are important to financial statement readers.
- Share one example of earnings management, explaining how it might be perpetrated and ways that investors might detect such behavior.
- Examine the role of the executive leadership team (e.g., CEO and CFO) in establishing an ethical environment and corporate culture that promotes high quality financial reporting.
- Assess the potential consequences for a publicly traded company when accounting quality is inadequate. Explain how management might minimize those consequences.
- Evaluate the requirements of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act regarding accounting quality, indicating whether the current provisions are adequate to protect stakeholders. Support your position.
- Use at least five (5) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar websites do not qualify as academic resources. You have access to Strayer University’s Online Library at https://research.strayer.edu and the iCampus University Library Research page at https://icampus.strayer.edu/library/research.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.