Fat Liberation Manifesto, Shadow on a Tightrope: writings by women on fat oppression
Your review is to be
- typewritten or computer generated
- margins no greater than 1.25“
- 11-point Times New Roman font
YOUR REVIEW SHOULD HAVE 3 PARTS:
The 1st paragraph should be a summary of the author’s argument. After reading the essay, consider the following questions as you write:
- What is the thesis/main argument(s)?
- What are the major points/issues of the argument (s)?
- How does the author try to convince you of his/her argument? Through repetition, comparison, allegory, etc.?
- What evidence does the author use to support his/her argument? Does he/she rely on quotes from the time period? Other images? Novels, etiquette manuals, treatises, etc. from the time period? Etc.
- What about the work of art seems to interest the author: the class, ethnicity or gender of the persons depicted? The history/mythology being depicted? The political or historical ramifications of the scene depicted? The formal elements of the composition? The symbolism of objects depicted? etc.
The 2nd paragraph should be a critique of the author’s argument. After reading the essay and summarizing the argument in the 1st paragraph, consider the following questions:
- Is the author’s argument convincing? Why or why not?
- Does the author make any assumptions about the intentions of the artist? About the meaning of the work of art? Other assumptions? If so, what are they?
- What conflicts or problems do you see with the argument? Are there any contradictions?
- What are the positive aspects of the argument? Do you find it a productive way to think about the image(s)?
- Could the argument apply to other images/artists? If so, how? Be specific.
After the 2nd paragraph, skip several lines and list 3 questions you have about the essay or that you think would generate class discussion. These questions will be used as a basis for discussion in class.
These questions should be typewritten and DONE BEFORE CLASS. You will not get credit for questions that are handwritten!