WEEK 1 – Assignment
The first phase in the project management life cycle is the Project Initiation phase. To begin, you must define the project and identify the objectives, scope, and deliverables.
In this assignment, you will:
- Select a project scenario to work with throughout the course.
- Create a video and PowerPoint presentation in which you:
- Define the project’s objectives, scope, and deliverables in a Project Summary, including a Project Charter and a project management methodology.
- Create a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) for the project.
Choose a Project Scenario
Select a case study to use throughout the course to complete the assignments.
Review the parameters for choosing your own case study and for selecting a predetermined case study. Once you have read through the material, decide which you will do.
- Destination Wedding: You have been tasked with creating a project to manage a destination wedding. You will be required to figure out the destination. You have been given a budget of $25,000. You will have to determine all costs and resources. The project must be completed in six months.
- Data Integration Software Tool for Communications ‘R’ Us Phone Company: You have to build a software tool that enables data to be used by a variety of software applications for a telephone company. The team consists of an unknown quantity of personnel for the design, development, building, deployment, and operation and maintenance of the system. The team members may be located in different time zones. The sponsor, Ted Telee O’Phone, has asked that the tool should also be available in “the Cloud” so that the stakeholders may access it through an Internet browser. The budget for this project is $50,000.
- Website for Dee Dee’s Pawn Star Shop: You are leading a team of three individuals to deliver an e-commerce Web site for a small local pawn shop. You are working with a suggested budget of $10,000 to deliver the development of the site, all hardware, and hosting services. The sponsor, Dorothy Deal, would like the site to highlight “Deals of the Day,” as well as items she is looking for to complete collectible collections.
- Trip of a Lifetime: You have been asked to plan the trip of a lifetime for a family of four to visit five countries in three weeks with a budget of $35,000. You will need to determine all costs, schedule, and resources for this to be a success.
Create Your Presentation and Deliverables
Create a 5–7-slide PowerPoint presentation with detailed notes. Your presentation should include the following:
- Project Summary.
- Summary of the Project Charter, including a PM methodology.
- Work Breakdown Structure (WBS):
- Using MS Project or other software, develop a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) based on your selected business or IT project.
- WBS should include, at a minimum, four levels.
Use Kaltura or Adobe Connect to present the PowerPoint and submit a video presentation. See the Resources for help with these tools.
- Written communication: Ensure written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- Number of resources: Cite at least three current scholarly or professional resources.
- Length: Create a 5–7-slide PowerPoint with detailed notes.
- Submission: Submit the video presentation and the PowerPoint slides.
Project Management Institute. Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide) — Sixth Edition and Agile Practice Guide. Newtown Square. PA. 2017.