Among the plot and thematic conventions that may appear in the Shaolin subgenre are:
– Training through tortuous physical conditioning
– Training through seemingly meaningless chores
– Conflict between the temple and the government
– Conflict within the temple on the response to the political situation outside
– The protagonist’s struggle against temple rules
Choose one of these conventions that is present in both Thirty-sixth Chamber and Shaolin Temple, and compare the two films’ treatment of it (approximately 200 words for each of the two conventions).
Note that while this week’s assignment asks you to focus on content, you may find it useful to include comparison of formal elements in your response as well.
The Shaolin Temple: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c3bMK8wMtg
The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (1978): http://www.hulu.com/watch/736225