Community emergencies can have a devastating impact to a community whether the emergency is caused by infectious disease or natural disaster. For this assignment, you will focus on emergency preparedness in relation to your clinical practice.
with this activity:
Select an emergency preparedness guide using one of the two pathways below and develop your paper by answering the questions below.
If you are a SENTARA EMPLOYEE: Visit Sentara’s Emergency Management/Hospital Incident Command System webpages by following these instructions:
- Log into your Sentara Wavenet account.
- Copy and paste this address into your internet browser: https://wavenet.sentara.com/channels/empres/emergencyop/slh/Pages/Annex-L.aspx
- You should be on the page Annex K – HICS/Incident Response Guides
- Scroll down the page and select one of the Incident Response Guides for Hospital Command Center to review.
- Write your paper answering the questions posted below.
If you are a NON-SENTARA EMPLOYEE:
- Follow this link to Appendix F Incident Response Guides: http://hicscenter.org/Shared%20Documents/IRGs/All%20Incident%20Response%20Guide.pdf
- Select a guide to review from the Hospital Incident Planning and Response Guides.
- Write your paper answering the questions below.
complete your assignment:
Using the resources provided through your readings and required web link, you are to develop a 2-3 page paper regarding your professional practice disaster preparedness plan. Your paper should use proper APA formatting (title page, running head, page numbers, double-spaced, Times New Roman font, reference page(s), etc.). The 2-3 page limitation does not include the title page and reference page(s). Your paper should answer and discuss the following questions:
- Which Hospital Incident Response Guide did you review?
- What are some of the problems and challenges associated with this disaster response?
- How can these problems and challenges be addressed during the preparedness phase?
- What is the nurse’s role in disaster preparedness?