Almost every part of the world has experienced the impact of a crisis or disaster, whether natural or man-made. Because of the breadth and number of crises/disasters over the past decade, scholarly research has increasingly tried to identify empirically supported interventions and evidence-based practices. Recent crisis research provides more appropriate intervention models than older models such as the Critical Incident Stress Management model (CISM). One model is the Hybrid Model of Crisis Intervention, which understands that a crisis can need both a linear progression and also tasks that need to be accomodated.
The Hybrid Model of Crisis Intervention provides an uncomplicated approach for listening and acting on clients’ behalf and includes both directive and non-directive interventions. This Hybrid Model has implications for Maslow’s hierarchy of needs; it provides for a different type of intervention as opposed to typical counseling or psychotherapy. Maslow’s initial level of hierarchical needs describes physiological needs. These physiological needs are the starting point for counselors’ crisis intervention.
To prepare for this assignment:
- Review Chapter 3 and Chapter 4 in your course text, Crisis Intervention Strategies, paying particular attention to the Hybrid Model of Crisis Intervention and the Triage Assessment Form: Crisis Intervention.
- Review Chapter 5 in your course text, Crisis Intervention Strategies, and think about the differences between clinical, long- or short-term therapy, and crisis case handling. Consider skills you have that fit both.
- Review the media , “During a Crisis-Counselor Interventions and Strategies” in this week’s Learning Resources.
- Review the articles, “Basic Need Status and Health-Promoting Behavior in Adults” and “The Hierarchy of Needs and Care Planning in Addiction Services: What Maslow Can Tell Us About Addressing Competing Priorities?” and think about the needs of the populations you are serving and how those needs can be met using the Hybrid Model of Crisis Intervention.
- Review the Hybrid Model of Crisis Intervention and apply its steps in order to the Case Study provided in this week’s Learning Resources.
- Think about Maslow’s hierarchy of needs and consider ways it applies to the Six-Step Model.
The assignment: (3-4 pages)
- Provide an analysis of the crisis depicted in the Case Study in this week’s Learning Resources.
- Explain how you would apply the Hybrid Model to the crisis in the Case Study.
- Integrate Maslow’s model into your evaluation and explain how you did so.