Background: This module’s Case Assignment deals with an age-old debate, and you are required to prepare an argument. The board of directors of a health care institution is about to vote on a policy to mandate the exclusive use of the English language in the workplace. This policy will require all employees to speak only English while in the workplace. This action has come about as a result of increasing numbers of members of minority groups being hired by the organization, leading to complaints from employees and customers.
A group of board members believes in cultural and linguistic diversity, but they do not have the background to present their argument at the board meeting. This group also knows that you are taking a cultural competence course and they ask you to research the impact of such a policy, providing evidence from the literature. You are asked to provide the following information, focusing on the impact on the organization’s culture in a 3- to 5-page paper:
- Rationale for and against this policy.
- Benefits of cultural and linguistic inclusion.
- Drawbacks of cultural and linguistic inclusion.
- Propose ways all members of the organization’s staff can feel included and part of the company, despite your decision to accept or reject the proposed policy.
Use information from your module readings/articles as well as appropriate research to support your selection.
Length: The Case Assignment should be 3-5 pages long (double-spaced).
References: At least three references must be included from academic sources (peer-reviewed journal articles). Required reading is included. Quoted materials should not exceed 10% of the total paper (since the focus of these assignments is critical thinking). Use your own words and build on the ideas of others. Materials copied verbatim from external sources must be enclosed in quotation marks. In-text citations are required as well as a list of references at the end of the assignment. (APA format is recommended.)
Organization: Subheadings should be used to organize your paper according to the questions.
Format: APA format is recommended for this assignment.
Grammar and Spelling: While no points are deducted for minor errors, assignments are expected to adhere to standard guidelines of grammar, spelling, punctuation, and sentence syntax. Points may be deducted if grammar and spelling impact clarity.
Your assignment will not be graded until you have submitted an Originality Report with a score of <20%. Papers not meeting this requirement by the end of the session will receive a score of 0 (grade of F).
The following items will be assessed in particular:
- Achievement of learning outcomes for Case Assignment.
- Relevance – All content is connected to the question.
- Precision – Specific question is addressed. Statements, facts, and statistics are specific and accurate.
- Depth of discussion – Points that lead to deeper issues are presented and integrated.
- Breadth – Multiple perspectives and references, and multiple issues/factors are considered.
- Evidence – Points are well supported with facts, statistics, and references.
- Logic – Discussion makes sense; conclusions are logically supported by premises, statements, or factual information.
- Clarity – Writing is concise and understandable, and contains sufficient detail or examples.
- Objectivity – Avoids the use of first person and subjective bias.