New technology that affects policy process
• Social media
• Open data
• Freedom of information
• Wisdom of the crowds
• Open collaboration
• Transparency in policy simulation
• Agent-based simulation and hybrid modeling techniques
There were several important themes in chapter 1.
Here are a few quotes:
1. “Policy-making and its subsequent implementation are necessary to deal with societal problems.” (Janssen, 2015)
2. “Policy-making is driven by the need to solve societal problems and should result in interventions to solve these societal problems.” (Janssen, 2015)
3. “Examples of societal problems are unemployment, pollution, water quality, safety, criminality, well-being, health, and immigration.” (Janssen, 2015)
The author of chapter 1 discusses several information and communication developments that influence policy-making. Select two of the developments in chapter 1 and describe how that development can influence policy to solve a specific problem. You have to research and identify a specific problem in society.
You must do the following:
1)Provide a thoughtful research-based analysis and include at least three references to support your thoughts
2) ALL original posts ( two paragraphs supported by resources) and comments must be substantive. (I’m looking for about a paragraph – not just “I agree.”)
6) Paraphrase text from resources used and cite. If quoting text, use double-quotes and cite.
Janssen, M., Wimmer, M. A., & Deljoo, A. (Eds.). (2015). Policy practice and digital science: Integrating complex systems, social simulation and public administration in policy research (Vol. 10). Springer.