To prepare for this discussion, please read Chapter 10 of your textbook. Read “Conceptualizing Psychiatric Disorders Using ‘Four D’s’ of Diagnoses” and browse Research-Supported Psychological Treatments. You must also utilize the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5e to inform your thinking. Finally, review Instructor Guidance and Announcements. In this discussion, you will consider psychological disorders and therapies. Be sure to use your own academic voice and apply in-text citations appropriately throughout your post.
- Choose a character from a book, television show, or movie who is portrayed as suffering from a psychological disorder. [Examples: “My Mad Fat Diary”, “The Hunger Games Series”, “Forest Gump”, “Rain Man” (Please do not use these.)]
- Briefly describe the character and his(her) behaviors that lead you to believe they have a disorder.
- Read “Conceptualizing Psychiatric Disorders Using ‘Four D’s’ of Diagnoses”. Note that many professionals utilize the four “Ds” to determine abnormality:
- Deviance: Are the behaviors/feelings deviant?
- Dysfunction: Do the behaviors/feelings interfere with the individual’s ability to function in daily life?
- Distress: Does the individual experience distress due to the behaviors/feelings?
- Danger: Are the behaviors/feelings harmful to the individual or those around him/her?
- (Some consider a fifth “D”, Duration.).
- Appraise your character and his/her behaviors/feelings for each of the above “Ds”. Are variations in his/her behaviors/feelings significant enough to constitute a psychological disorder, in your opinion?
- Review the textbook. After determining a diagnosis that—in your opinion—fits the character’s behaviors/feelings (which may or may not be indicated in the book, television show, or movie), locate additional information about this disorder in the DSM-5. Briefly describe the disorder that you think fits your character and explain why.
- Review Research-Supported Psychological Treatments. Discuss possible treatment options for this particular disorder.
- Explain how cultural and social diversity might influence perception and experience of this disorder.
- Remember to use your own academic voice and apply in-text citations appropriately throughout your post.
Post your initial response of 250 words or more by Day 3 (Thursday). Respond to at least two of your peers by Day 7 (Monday). You are encouraged to post one or more of your required replies early each week (e.g., by Saturday) to stimulate more meaningful and interactive discourse in the discussion forum. In addition, strive to provide a response to classmates who reply to your initial post and/or the Instructor (if applicable). Peer responses may vary in length but should be carefully crafted and insightful. Below are some suggestions to assist your thinking.
Guided Response: Reply to at least one peer who chose a character other than the one you selected and two or more peers overall. The goal of the discussion forum is to foster continual dialogue, similar to what might occur in a verbal face-to-face exchange. Consider the following in your responses:
- Review your peer’s application. Consider the 4 “D”s and share your thoughts on whether the behavior illustrates a disorder or not.
- Point out qualities he or she may have overlooked that support the possible diagnosis of the identified disorder or suggest otherwise.