For this assignment, compare and contrast the two most-often used definitions of Specific Learning Disabilities: the federal government’s definition and the National Joint Committee on Learning’s definition. Both of these definitions can be found in your readings this week. You will then create a Venn diagram to illustrate the similarities and differences between the two definitions. This visual representation will help you see at a glance the similarities and differences in the definitions. There is a downloadable Venn diagram template in this week’s resources that you may use, or you can create your own, if desired. Finally, you will write an analysis that addresses the following:
- Summarize the federal government’s definition by answering these questions: When was it created? Why? Who uses it? What are the key elements of the Federal definition?
- Now summarize the NJCLD definition by answering the same questions.
- Compare the two definitions by explaining how they are similar. Be specific in your examples of similarities between the two definitions.
- Contrast the two definitions. What are the key differences between the two definitions? (Hint: it may help to look at the rationale the NJCLD used when deciding to write a different definition).
- If given a choice, which definition would you use for your school or district or would you choose one of the other definitions presented in the text? Why? Be certain to explain your thoughts using specific examples from the definitions.
- As you read this week, there have been many controversies about how to define specific learning disabilities. Why is it important to have a clear definition at the local, state, and federal level?
Note: Since you are using personal reflection in this essay, it is fine to use first-person in your essay this week.
Length: 1-page Venn diagram; 2- to 3-page analysis paper
References: Include a minimum of 3 scholarly resources
Your essay should demonstrate thoughtful consideration of the ideas and concepts that are presented in the course and provide new thoughts and insights relating directly to this topic. Your response should reflect graduate-level writing and APA standards. Be sure to adhere to Northcentral University’s Academic Integrity Policy.