Intercultural Communication Strategies DB
- Deliverable Length: 400–600 words
Knowing details about the culture of a prospective international client before a meeting assures a successful intercultural communication encounter. A Chinese businessman whom you have never met is coming to the United States to visit you. You and your female boss invite him to lunch. You call the in-house “culture coach” and ask the following questions:
- How should you handle the introduction, greeting, and handshaking?
- How do you exchange business cards?
- How do you explain your position and your boss’s position?
- Where should you take him to lunch, and when?
- Should you exchange gifts?
- How will you begin business discussions?
- What should not be brought up in business discussions?
- Is there anything else you should prepare for?
How should the culture coach respond to these questions?