From this week’s assigned readings, you have learned about how a police department under consent decree differs from that of a police department addressing standard training needs. Compare and contrast these two training styles. What are the objectives and training design for each of these two types of training styles? What are the foci and restrictions of a police department under consent decree? Who, when, and under what circumstances is it appropriate to issue consent decree? Do you believe consent decree is effective at addressing training deficiencies in an organization? Why or why not?
This week’s assigned readings focus on how individual departments or organizations designed their training programs to meet regulated training standards. Conduct research on federal and state training standards through the Internet and the Ashford Online Library. Then, based upon the assigned readings and your own research, discuss the following:
- How do state and federal training standards differ?
- How are law enforcement training standards evaluated and maintained?
- Who governs the review of training at the state and federal levels?
- Is there a federal authority assigned to maintain training standards for law enforcement from state-to-state?
- What impact do this authority and training standards have on law enforcement officers?