Thesis: The two readings “Low Wages, Strong Backs” by Tom Meagher and “No Sweat” Rubi Garyfalakis have the same subject, however, they have a different focus and are not equally credible.
- General introduction briefly describing each article (Little summary… “This article by … talks about”)
- Thesis statement (stated above)
- Topic sentences for each paragraph that relate back to the thesis
- Supporting evidence (examples from the articles) for every claim (topic sentence) made, All ideas that are NOT your own must be cited.
- Sums up the argument
- Can re-state thesis in other words
- Does NOT introduce new information
These are my three points we are comparing and contrasting that I already stated in the thesis, and must have a paragraph for each one with examples for both readings in each paragraph:
1) SIMILAR TOPIC/Subject. Both discuss workers are exploited
Newspaper article (focuses on low-wage workers in N.J., USA; mostly newcomers) and the consequences
Essay (focuses on sweatshop workers in Bangladeshi; mostly women and children) and the positive effects/benefits of sweat shops
3) Not equally credible.
Newspaper article: interviews, first hand observations, and stating statistics
Essay: References published research
I’ve attached the essay “no sweat” below, and the newspaper article can be found at http://www.tommeagher.com/files/clips/templife.pdf