To prepare for this discussion, please read Chapter 8 of your textbook. In addition, watch Jean Kilbourne: The dangerous ways ads see women and Tough Guise: Violence, media & the crisis in masculinity. You must also find one scholarly article to inform your thinking (see instructions below). Finally, review Instructor Guidance and any relevant Announcements. In this discussion, you will consider the influence of social factors on individual mental processes and behavior. Be sure to use your own academic voice and apply in-text citations appropriately throughout your post.
- Watch Jean Kilbourne: The Dangerous Ways Ads See Women (Jean Kilbourne, 2014), which examines the portrayal of women in advertising and the resulting effects on feminine identity, and Tough Guise: Violence, Media & the Crisis in Masculinity(ChallengingMedia, 2006), which examines the portrayal of men in the media and the resulting effects on masculine identity.
- Locate a scholarly article examining a relevant phenomenon in relation to media and gender (e.g., when considering women in advertising, self-esteem, objectification, body shame, or perceptions of attractiveness might be particularly relevant; when considering men in the media, aggression might be particularly relevant; for both, attitudes and gender roles are relevant themes). See the recommended articles for this week for some options.
- Focus on women or men for your discussion, depending on the relevant phenomenon you considered in your research above. (You will address the opposite in your replies.).
- Examine the implications of media portrayals of women or men, given the videos you watched and the article you read. In your discussion, include the following:
- Explain how stereotypes, prejudice, and/or discrimination are impacted by media portrayals of women or men.
- Interpret the implications:
- For a woman (if you explored the portrayal of women) or for a man (if you explored the portrayal of men): how might the portrayal of women (men) impact the behavior and/or mental processes of women (men)? Support your interpretation with citations.
- For a woman (if you explored the portrayal of men) or for a man (if you explored the portrayal of women): how does the portrayal of women (men) impact the behavior and/or mental processes of men (women)? Support your interpretation with citations.
- Relate additional phenomena in American culture that that may be especially relevant to a discussion of social attitudes regarding gender.
- Give an example of an advertisement or media program (other than one presented in the required videos) that you believe might impact attitudes. Explain the relevance and point out specific elements that illustrate.
- Remember to use your own academic voice and apply in-text citations appropriately throughout your post.
Post your initial response of 250 words or more by Day 3 (Thursday). Respond to at least two of your peers by Day 7 (Monday). You are encouraged to post one or more of your required replies early each week (e.g., by Saturday) to stimulate more meaningful and interactive discourse in the discussion forum. In addition, strive to provide a response to classmates who replied to your initial post and/or the Instructor (if applicable). Peer responses may vary in length but should be carefully crafted and insightful. Below are some suggestions to assist your thinking.
Guided Response: Reply to at least one peer who chose an option other than the one you selected and two or more peers overall. The goal of the discussion forum is to foster continual dialogue, similar to what might occur in a verbal face-to-face exchange. Consider the following in your responses:
- Share your own experiences that are relevant to the phenomenon your peer described.
- Relate cultural differences you have observed with regard to an understanding of gender roles (femininity, masculinity, etc.).