Assignment: Critical Thinking and Ethical Decision Making
The following Course Outcomes are assessed in this Assignment:
GEL-6.02:Incorporate outside research into an original work appropriately.
GEL-1.02:Demonstrate college-level communication through the composition of original materials in Standard English.
In order to prepare for this Assignment, read about the decision-making steps and carefully review Cialdini’s “Six Principles of Persuasion” in Chapter 2 of Rogers (2015) located in your Reading area. Then complete the Learning Activity concerning “Ethical Approaches.”
Read the scenario and respond to the Checklist items in a persuasive memo.
Scenario: Your team leader has gathered your team of six to discuss the newest frozen food product line called “Supreme Nutrition” that the company is introducing in the next 12 months. He explains that while some of the dried vegetables and fruits used in the product are not necessarily free from scrutiny by health enthusiasts, there still is no definitive proof according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration that these dried fruits and vegetables do not have some actual nutrition. In fact, many top competitors use some of these dried fruits and vegetables themselves.
Upon leaving the meeting, you are concerned with the name of the product line and the actual ingredients. So, on your own time, you speak with several of the food scientists examining these dried fruits and vegetables wo corroborate your concerns, and then you research advertising laws. You decide that you are going to write a persuasive memo to upper management to convince them that they should change the name of the product line.
Using Cialdini’s persuasive principles, write a minimum of a 400–500-word persuasive memo to upper management.
- Persuade your audience using at least two (2) or three (3) of Cialdini’s six principles of persuasion directly quoting or paraphrasing his principles and including the in-text and reference citations using APA style.
- Clearly state and sustain your viewpoint and purpose throughout your memo by supporting it with outside research from reliable sources.
- Determine ethical considerations you will want to address based on the Learning Activity.
- Cite at least one advertising law using your choice of either paraphrasing or direct quote using APA formatting and citation style.
- Provide an additional reference page, double space your memo, and use standard paragraph formatting.
- Use Standard English grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Your writing should be well ordered, logical, and unified, as well as original and insightful.