- We should help people that are starving in other countries. We have plenty of things that we can share without adversely affecting our own lives, and we are morally obligated to help people who are less fortunate than us if we can do so without giving up anything of comparable importance to the aid that we are giving.
Identify the premises and conclusion in the following arguments:
- Since large corporations make more money than small businesses, we should tax them at a higher rate than we tax small businesses. This is because everyone should contribute to society according to his ability.
- Some people use handguns in self-defense. Preventing someone from defending herself by taking away her weapon is the same as helping the attacker. Bans on handguns are therefore the same as giving aid to the attackers. Since giving aid to the attackers is wrong, we should not ban handguns.
Identify the premises and conclusion in the following arguments. Then put the arguments into standard form.
- Bill is going to be able to tell the difference between disagreement and critical reasoning. He is going to read the lecture, and anyone who reads the lecture is going to be able to tell the difference between disagreement and critical reasoning.
- Students will not become interested in learning for its own sake. Universities will become more vocationally oriented. Either students will become more interested in learning for its own sake or universities will become more vocationally oriented.