For this assignment, you will choose one of the semester’s literature selections and examine two of its appeals. You will explain the appeals’ effectiveness.
- The essay should be structured with the following sections:
INTRODUCTION: the first section of the essay which sets the tone and thesis statement that includes the prompt response and direction of the essay.
BODY: the “flesh” and majority of the essay where the writer develops an argument about the rhetorical appeals’ strengths/limitations. This section should be a combination of your observations, text examples, and commentary/analysis from a secondary source.
CONCLUSION: the recap of your points, why the details matter, and a final thought for the reader; this portion should be comparable to your introduction and give the reader a sense of closure
- Effective introductory paragraph
- Clear, purpose driven thesis with preliminary points
- Strong topic sentences
- Well-developed ideas and transitions
- Summary of the work as needed
- Clear analysis and expansion of rhetorical appeals
- Strategic balance of quotes, paraphrase
- General MLA formatting and documentation for any source used; one secondary source is required. Some examples of secondary sources are history books, articles in encyclopedias, reviews of the work, and academic articles.
- Accurate in-text references and Works Cited page
- Word count: minimum 700 words; papers should not exceed 1400 words