Visions of America Assignment Options
Imagine you are working in a historical society dedicated to the promotion and preservation of the legacy of the Harlem Renaissance.
Create a 700- to 1,050-word overview of the Harem Renaissance that can be used as a handout at your historical society. Include the following in your overview: Answer all questions. Use the word limit.
- An overview of the history of the Harlem Renaissance; what developments in American history led to the emergence of the Harlem Renaissance? How does the Harlem Renaissance continue to be relevant to our society?
- Discussion of at least two visual artists associated with the Harlem Renaissance whose work, in your estimation, is representative of this cultural era.
- An examination of at least two representative works from your selected artists which includes a description of style of the artist; why did the artists choose these artistic styles? How is their work related to the abstraction of the early modernists during this same time period? Is it also abstract? How would you describe it in your own words?
- An examination of the artistic choices involving media, techniques, and subjects of your selected artworks. Was the cumulative effect of the artist’s choices successful? Why or why not?
- An analysis of your selected artworks in their historical and social context; what meaning did your artists bring to their work and why? To what social or historical forces were they responding?
- Inclusion of at least two images of artwork from your selected artists. Use only Wikipedia.org , public domain, for credit.
You may submit your overview as a Microsoft® Word document with images. Or, you may use another document creation tool if you have access to the Adobe Creative Suite.
Cite your images according to appropriate course level APA guidelines.
Format your overview according to appropriate course level APA guidelines.
Submit your assignment to the Assignment Files tab.
- Hughes’ Dream Harlem Video Reflection
- Duchamp Reinvents His Style
- Representational Cityscape
- Khan Academy: Becoming Modern
- Week 2 Electronic Reserve Readings
Framing America, Ch. 6