Write a critical response (5–7 pages) to the SARS case study outlining how the performance of emergency workers could have improved by incorporating answers to the following questions into your response:
- What challenges for operational capacity did Toronto’s SARS crisis create for the region’s public health and hospital systems? In what ways were these challenges similar or different from those created in the aftermath of the 09/11 Pentagon attacks?
- How did the SARS crisis affect non-health emergency responders?
- In your opinion what should jurisdictions outside of the Toronto area have been doing as Toronto’s SARS crisis deepened?
- In your opinion, what implications does Toronto’s experience with SARS have for jurisdictions preparing for future incidents of emergent infectious disease or contagious agents dispersed by bioterrorists?
Your response should:
- identify all eight of the effective courses of action for improving an EOP
- illustrate how the eight courses of action were implemented in this disaster
- assess how well the eight courses of action were implemented in this disaster
- recommend how emergency workers could have implemented the eight courses of action differently for better success