Culture and History
1. Briefly describe some (at least four) aspects of Greek culture prior to and at the time of Socrates and Plato.
2. What does it mean to say that a culture is “mythopoetic”? What was the cultural significance of the ‘Tales” of Homer and Hesiod?
3. Before 500 BC the Greeks answer to, how does one live a good life was, “to follow the gods and to accept moira(fate).” After 400 BC the answer to this question was not as clear to them. Why? What had happened?
4. Who is Aristophanes, and what image does he give us of Socrates in his play The Clouds? Is this reflection of Socrates historically accurate? Explain.
5. Who were the Sophists? What type of courses did the Sophists teach? (3-5 sentence reply)
6. What meaning did the Sophists give to the expression “might makes right”?
7. What were the major “concerns” of the Sophist?
8. Define: Cosmology, Cosmogony, and Theogony.
9. What do you think Protagoras meant when he said “man is the measure of all things”?
10. What was the principle difference between Socrates and the Sophist? What was Socrates “looking for” that the Sophists were not?