Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 8 (section 8.3), 11
- Minimum of 1 scholarly source (in addition to the textbook)
Initial Post Instructions
For the initial post, pick two (2) of the following historical events:
- The Lewis and Clark Expedition
- The Missouri Compromise
- Independence of Texas
- Mexican War of 1846-1848
- The California Gold Rush
Then, address the following for your selections:
- Which of your two selections do you consider most impactful on Westward Expansion during 1800-1848? Explain why.
- Analyze the effects of the ideology of Manifest Destiny on the two historical events that you chose from the list.
Compare your selections and analysis of selections with those of your peers. If they chose different events, examine how yours are similar and/or different. If they chose the same events, build on their posts by providing additional information about the events that you have not already noted in your own post.
- Minimum of 3 posts (1 initial & 2 follow-up)
- APA format for in-text citations and list of references
We have five possible topics to tackle this week, which begins Monday, Sept. 16. Many people do not realize that we fought a war against Mexico over land issues (Keene, 2013). And then there was the notion of Manifest Destiny, wherein God’s will was accomplished by our securing the rest of the land to the Pacific Ocean (Keene, 2013; Roark, 2009, pp. 350, 363). It is a fascinating term to explore.
What were the different meanings of this? And if you lived at the time, would you have gone West toward this land of opportunity?
Select two of these five events and interact with the text and lesson, and any other authoritative sources you may find. Thanks!
Keene, J. D., Cornell, S. T., & O’Donnell, E. T. (2013). Visions of America: A history of the United States(2nd ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education.
Roark, J. L. [et al]. (2009). The American promise: A history of the United States (4th ed.). Boston, MA: Bedford/St. Martin’s.
The post Which of your two selections do you consider most impactful on Westward Expansion during 1800-1848? Explain why. appeared first on top grade professors.