Week 1 Discussion 1
If you have a very sick child and were referred to the Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, you may feel reassured that U.S. News and World Report rated this the third best pediatric hospital in the country. Your next question might be to ask: What makes this hospital great? How did it achieve better outcomes than its peer institutions? In 1994, the Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center refocused its efforts to aim to be a leader in improving children’s health. Throughout the hospital, specialist teams and departments devised quality initiatives that resulted in measurable improvements (Tucker & Edmondson, 2011).
The hospital’s senior managers are trying to determine how the hospital can maintain this excellence. As you review the case study “Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center,” (located in this week’s resources) take note of examples, or lack of examples, of systems thinking within the organization.
Imagine that you are a consultant who has been hired by the Cincinnati Children’s Hospital to advise them on their plans to sustain and further improve quality at the hospital. Using the case study, analyze where they have applied key principles of systems thinking and where this thinking appears to be lacking.
By Day 3
Post the following:
- Your analysis of where Cincinnati Children’s Hospital has applied key principles of systems thinking and where it appears to be lacking in their application of systems thinking.
- Explain the value of systems thinking to the leadership of Cincinnati Children’s Hospital as they aim for new levels of quality. Justify your response.
General Guidance: Your initial Discussion post, due by Day 3, will typically be 2–3 paragraphs in length as a general expectation/estimate. Refer to the rubric for the Week 1 Discussion for grading elements and criteria. Your Instructor will use the rubric to assess your work.
By Day 5
Review your colleagues’ posts and by Day 5, respond to two in one or more of the following ways.
- Offer a different perspective regarding where Cincinnati Children’s Hospital has applied key principles of systems thinking and where it appears to be lacking.
- Ask a probing question of your colleague, based on your readings from the week, your own investigation into systems thinking, and/or your experience. You should be sure to include the context for your question and why it is important to address.
- Offer any additional insight you gained after reading your colleague’s analysis.
- Suggest ways that other organizations can use the lessons from the case to apply key principles of systems thinking and why you think it is important for organizations to do so.
General Guidance: Your Discussion responses, due by Day 5, will each typically be 1–2 paragraphs in length as a general expectation/estimate. Refer to the rubric for the Week 1 Discussion for grading elements and criteria. Your Instructor will use the rubric to assess your work.