World Cultures II
Promise of Renewal” Please respond to one (1) of the following, using sources under the Explore heading as the basis of your response – at this stage, citing support of/for your views should be second nature:
- Is there a modern example of Western music today that defines nationalism, besides national anthems (i.e. so excludes the givens: Star Spangled Banner, God Bless America, America, America the Beautiful – this is the challenge]? Can you compare such a piece to a work by Tchaikovsky that you enjoy from this week’s listening? Discuss both the subject matter, as well as your own personal reactions here to the work, and expand on how his work defines/d Romanticism? Why was music, again such a powerful artform at this time and contributed to ‘renewal’?
- Choose an artwork with females as the subject matter: 1) from a male artist, and 1) from a female artist perspective from our Explore section. Are there any gender roles that you can define based on their work, and how each gender depicts women at this time? What do you think are the cultural influences shaping their ‘lens’? What modern example can you compare here? Is there any comparison to how females were defined through art in the late 1800s with females today? Do share a specific example to reinforce your analysis.
- Audio of musical compositions on Tchaikovsky webpage , Kennedy Center Website at http://www.kennedy-center.org/explorer/artists/?en…
- Video clip of Tchaikovsky (1812 Overture) at
Artists’ Depictions of Women
- National Museum of Women in the Arts at http://www.nmwa.org/explore/collection-highlights/…
- National Gallery of Art (search by artist name) at http://www.nga.gov/content/ngaweb/Collection/artis…
***This is a discussion, NOT a paper. Need a strong paragraph with 2 references.***