Chapter 3 describes much of our genetic foundations and highlights both diversity and environment in creating our genetic heritage. Video lesson 3, “Nature and Nurture: The Dance of Life,” closely examines the role of heredity and environment, and discusses how twin studies have provided a wealth of information regarding the complex interactions between genes and the environment at every age.
- Briefly describe the basis of our genetic heritage, including sex determination, and distinguish between monozygotic and dizygotic twins.
- Note the degree of similarity between all humans regardless of sex, race, or other apparent difference. Explain how genetic diversity benefits the entire community.
- Identify some environmental variables that affect expression of genetic inheritance, and describe how a particular trait, such as shyness, might be affected.
- Describe the most common genetic abnormalities, including abnormalities involving the sex chromosomes.
- Describe approaches to genetic testing. What is genetic counseling and when would it be recommended.
*3-4 pages needed*