Subject : Cryptography
“The security benefits associated with maintaining PCI compliance are vital to the long-term success of all merchants who process card payments. This includes continual identification of threats and vulnerabilities that could potentially impact the organization. Most organizations never fully recover from data breaches because the loss is greater than the data itself.” — Quick Service Restaurant (QSR) Magazine
Primary Task Response:
Following the Payment Council Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS) is just good business. Such standards help ensure healthy and trustworthy payment card transactions for the hundreds of millions of people worldwide that use their cards every day.
- Please define and describe the PCI DSS
- What are potential liabilities from not following PCI DSS?
- With regards to payment security:
- What data are thieves after?
- Where do thieves steal data?
- What needs to be secured?
Please ensure that you provide citations and references to support your statements.
Learning Materials and References (posted by prof)
Required Resources Textbook(s) Required:
- Oriyano, Sean-Philip. Cryptography Infosec Pro Guide. McGraw-Hill Education, 2013.
Please use the following author’s names, book/article titles, Web sites, and/or keywords to search for supplementary information to augment your learning in this subject.
- Harris, Shon. All in One CISSP Exam Guide, Sixth Edition. McGraw-Hill, 2013.
- Paar, Christof, Pelzl,Jan and Preneel, Bart. Understanding Cryptography: A Textbook for Students and Practitioners. Springer Publishing, 2010.
- Rhodes-Ousley, Mark. The Complete Reference to Information Security, Second Edition. McGraw-Hill, 2013.