In counseling, a supervisor is responsible for monitoring the welfare of the client and enhancing the functioning of the professional. He or she also supports a supervisee who is a novice mental health counselor in processing his or her experiences with the client. A supervisor takes on various roles and applies an array of counseling and consultation skills to achieve these goals.
It is important for mental health counselors to develop supervisory skills since it is likely that most mental health counselors will be asked to supervise a new counselor at some point in their careers. One of the ways you, as a graduate student and a future mental health counselor, develop supervisory skills is utilizing the discrimination model of supervision.
For this Assignment, you examine the discrimination model of supervision and apply it to a case study.
To prepare for this Assignment:
· Review Chapter 14 in the course text, Orientation to the Counseling Profession: Advocacy, Ethics, and Essential Professional Foundations, and the articles, focusing on the discrimination model of supervision. Think about the supervisory skills found in the discrimination model and how they are relevant to the supervisor’s role.
· Read the “Supervision Case Study’ document located in the Learning Resources. Think about how, in each of the supervisory roles of the discrimination model, you would approach the supervisee, Michael. Reflect on the supervisory skills that would be most relevant to each supervisory role for this case.
The Assignment (2–3 pages)
· Using the discrimination model in Chapter 14, explain how you would apply each of the supervisory roles in your approach with Michael, the supervisee in the case study.
· For each supervisor role in the discrimination model, describe one skill that is most relevant to the role and justify your response.
· Explain the supervisor’s role and skill set as explained in the discrimination model of supervision. Be specific to the case and provide examples.
Support your Assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation using appropriate APA format and style. You are asked to provide a reference list for all resources, including those in the Learning Resources for this course.
WEEK 10 ASSIGNMENT: SUPERVISION CASE STUDY
Janet is the clinical director of a local counseling agency. She has been supervising Michael, an internship student from a local university, for 2 months. Michael verbalizes what appears to be a great deal of insecurity regarding his counseling skills and abilities. He starts apologizing for his performance on his taped counseling session prior to playing the tape for supervision. In addition, when processing the various clients he sees, Michael often says, “I just don’t know what to do.” However, Michael is receptive to supervision and always incorporates the feedback offered to him by Janet.
Most recently, Michael has presented a case for supervision of a client who is experiencing problems in her romantic relationship. Michael indicates that the client reports not ever having a positive role model regarding relationships, not having a good relationship with her father, and not knowing how to deal with arguments in relationships. Michael said he felt a little uncomfortable when the client stated she wished her boyfriend could spend some time with him (Michael) so that he could learn how to really listen to her.