Prior to beginning to work on this discussion, read Chapter 1: Introduction to Global Marketing. Make sure that you have a good grasp of the following key terms and theories:
- Global marketing
- Marketing mix
- Competitive advantage
- Product/Market expansion framework
- Driving forces affecting global marketing
- Restraining forces affecting global marketing
There is a saying in the business world that “nothing fails like success.” Take Gap, for example. How can a fashion retailer that was once the source for wardrobe staples such as chinos and white t-shirts suddenly lose its marketing edge? Motorola also fell victim to its own success. The company’s Razr cell phone was a huge hit, but Motorola struggled to leverage that success. Google acquired Motorola Mobility but then sold it to Lenovo in 2014. Also, Starbucks former CEO Howard Shultz warned that his company and brand risked becoming commoditized. And, as noted in Case 1-3 of the textbook, some industry observers say that Apple “lost its cool.”
For your initial post,
- Pick from one of the six companies named above. From a global marketing standpoint, use all the six terms or theories listed above to explain your analysis of their global marketing failure or decline. Throughout your initial post, bold and underline each of the six terms and theories you use to make them easy to identify.
- If you were consulted as the global marketing expert to make recommendations to management of that company, what are your top two recommendations?