Answer the following questions:
- Motives for Imperialism: What caused Europeans to travel thousands of miles in all sorts of conditions to establish colonies? What was in it for them?
- Japanese Modernization: In what ways did Japan’s relationship with the larger world change during its modernization process?
- Race and Tribe: In what ways were concepts of “race” and “tribe” newly constructed identities in colonial Africa?
- Cooperation or Rebellion: What determined whether a native tribe or people would cooperate or rebel against their European overlord? Provide an example or two.
- China and the Ottoman Empire: China and the Ottoman Empire fell prey to European imperialism in the nineteenth century. How so?